Lyle D. Burgoon, Ph.D.
I am a data scientist and manager at the US Environmental Protection Agency. My primary scientific focus is to advance the science and practice of risk assessment by:
- Advancing and applying data science practices to real-world risk assessment problems and issues
- Data mining
- Semantic Web technologies
- Data integration/fusion
- Bringing emerging scientific technologies into risk assessment practice (e.g., omics, high throughput screening)
- Developing and applying new text mining and other informatics techniques to enhance the development of risk assessment documents, and the capture of relevant data
- Developing and applying computationally driven systematic review methods to mine the literature to identify appropriate literature based on specific rules
I lead efforts in the EPA's Advancing the Next Generation of Risk Assessment Program, our hydraulic fracturing and unconventional oil and gas development research programs, as well as the Human Health Risk Assessment and Chemical Safety for Sustainability National Research Programs.
Today, I am the Acting Chief of the Hazardous Pollutant Assessment Group (HPAG) in the National Center for Environmental Assessment in the Office of Research and Development (ORD), at the US EPA. HPAG develops IRIS assessments and leads cutting edge science in dose-response modeling (Benchmark Dose Modeling), GIS applications, RfC methodology development, hydraulic fracturing, NexGen Risk Assessment, chemical screening and prioritization, and persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic chemicals.
Prior to joining the NCEA, I was the Team Leader for the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Research Core (BBRC) in the Research Cores Unit, at the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory (NHEERL), in ORD, EPA.
Prior to joining the EPA, I was the CEO of Toxicogenomic Informatics and Solutions, LLC, and a Visiting Assistant Professor at Michigan State University.
I received my Ph.D. in Pharmacology and Toxicology with Environmental Toxicology from Michigan State University in 2005. In 1999 I received my A.B. in Pre-Medicine and Biology from Augustana College, Rock Island, IL.
Note: The page contents (minus the comments) are my own thoughts and opinions and do not represent Agency policy.